It seems like moving takes twice as long when you have two littles to take care of amidst the chaos. We’ve been “moved in” since Feb 2nd, yet I still have stuff everywhere. Sheesh!
Boxes are still waiting to be unpacked, but there has definitely been a big improvement in the stuff area. I have taken a carload to Goodwill, and I am working on another one. We have filled up our big trashcan several times. I have stuck to my promise that nothing comes into the house unless it has a purpose and a place. That doesn’t mean we still don’t have a ton of “stuff”, but I’m hoping it is far less than where we started on moving day.
We absolutely LOVE this house (ok, my love does not refer to the exterior paint colors but definitely everything else)! I know some people still think it is weird that we choose to rent instead of buy, but I love the flexibility we have AND that we have a home we can love. The space in this house is incredible compared to our last one. And the backyard…it is my favorite part of this house. There is a door off the dining room/playroom that opens right to the deck. Jonah can run in and out as he pleases. I can be playing with Penny inside or getting dinner ready while Jo plays in my view right out back. It is such a blessing.
I’m trying to focus on getting one room done at a time, but I have so many ideas and just want it all done at once. It is overwhelming at times, but as of now we are living and playing and eating and sleeping. Here is where we are at the moment:
- Lucky Penelope is the only one with a “finished” room. She has all her furniture in place and art on the walls.
- Jonah’s room is basically set up, but we want to add some more big boy furniture and fun art.
- Our room is liveable, but I need something on the walls. I haven’t quite decided what I want to do in there.
- The living room is in desperate need of furniture! We are couch hunting now and hope to make a decision soon. We purchased a new tv stand in February, so we are excited to add to that.
- The kitchen is functional but needs art and some more organization.
- The playroom is finally coming along after a couple weeks of chaos and toys everywhere. We have a rug, some toy storage, and a fun wall treatment in there already. I need to work on adding an art area and more storage. I’m hoping this room will be the next one “finished”.
So, we are getting there. As hard as it is to sit in unfinished spaces, I have to keep reminding myself that making a house “home” takes time. I like to live in the space and see what works best. Of course we can keep changing things as we go, but for the sake of our bank account, I like to try to make long-term decisions. I’ll post pictures as rooms get more finished because right now, I promise, there isn’t much to see.
ps: Penny turned 7 months old last week. I think I still may be in denial. Did I mention she can sit up alone and she has started eating foods?! Where did the time go…